Cats need food just like we do. If you are keeping one as a pet, you need to make sure to feed it on time. If you are always at home and you don’t mind constantly keeping tabs on your cat’s feeding time, it would be easy to keep them fed.
However, if you need to be out for work, you can’t constantly bend over or you just want feeding time to be more convenient, investing on an automatic feeder would be ideal.
If you are shopping for one of these pet supplies, you might be overwhelmed with all the best automatic cat feeder reviews. To give you a hand on the shopping department, we have rounded up some suggestions on which feeders to try and, of course, the factors you need to consider when you are looking for one.
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the buttons above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
List All the Requirements You Need from a Feeder
Automatic feeders may belong to the same category but it doesn’t mean that they will have similar features. You need to think of what you expect your feeder to have so you won’t be disappointed.
Some feeders are highly automated that you can program the time of feeding and the amount of food that your cat requires. This is worth considering especially if you are constantly out of the house.
Another thing to ponder would be the power source for the feeder. Some of these machines run on AC while others are powered by batteries. Your cat could take the plug out of the outlet if it’s powered by electricity.
Aside from those things, you should also think about what will happen when there is a power outage. Will kitty go hungry? Or does the feeder have a backup power source?
Whether it is AC or battery powered, you also need to think if your cat can’t destroy the feeder when it feels hungry. We all know how mischievous cats can be and they can mess around with the feeder. You should consider how sturdy and durable the feeder is.
1. Check Recommended Pellet Size
Automatic feeders are not made equal. Some feeders are more suitable for bigger pellets while others are ideal for smaller kibbles. When shopping for a feeder, you should always request for the ideal pellet size.
Keep in mind that most feeders have a screw system and if the kibbles are too small for the feeder, you might overfeed the cat. Kibbles with a ½ inch diameter is compatible with most feeders but just to be sure, send a message to the seller.
Always consider the shape and the size of the feeder. More often than not, the product dimensions are provided, so consider that too when shopping.
2. Is there a Product Warranty?
No matter what you are buying it would always be wise to check the product warranty. You never know whether you will be getting a defective product or not until you use it, so it’s only fair if the product is covered by a warranty.
Be sure to check the coverage of the warranty and the extent. Always make sure that you keep the necessary requirements to claim the warranty for your feeder.
3. Can You Check on the Feeder ?
When you are out of the house, it would be highly inconvenient to drop by to see if the feeder is working perfectly. Or, what if you forgot to program the feeder? What would happen then?
There’s a work around for that. There are some feeders that allow you to check it out remotely either from your phone, tablet or PC.
4. How About the Price?
Of course, price matters. However, this should never take center stage when you are looking for a feeder. Don’t always equate expensive with high quality. Although you would have to stick to a budget when shopping for a feeder, you have much room to navigate in as there are many budget friendly feeders that are available in the market.
Make sure that you make the best choice considering all of the criteria we have outlined here.
Best Automatic Cat Feeder Reviews: 5 Cat Feeders That Are Worth Considering
1. PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
Anyone who ever had to go out on vacation whilst leaving kitties behind knows the uneasy feeling you get even if someone is looking after your pets. It’s not that we don’t trust whoever it is who is looking after those cats. Perhaps we just know that people could forget their own mealtime which means that it’s totally possible that they couldn’t recall when your cat’s pet time is.
Deemed to be one of the leading companies in providing pet supplies in the United States since 1991, PetSafe is a popular name in the industry. This automatic feeder from the trusted brand runs on both AC and batteries. If you are looking for a feeder that wouldn’t fail even if there’s a power outage, this is the one that you have been looking for.
This feeder can be programmed to provide meal portions for your pets and it can accommodate up to 12 meals. Aside from that, it is not limited to dry food. You can also feed your cats with semi-moist food using this.
- Programmable digital timer that accommodates up to 12 meals in a day
- Flexible food portions from 1/8 cup to 4 cups in one feeding
- Has an anti-jam system
- Setting up the feeder and programming feeding schedules is easy to learn.
- Cleaning up and maintaining the equipment does not require anything complicated.
- Cats wouldn’t easily ruin the feeder as it is made from sturdy materials.
- The programming buttons and overall interface could use some improvement.
- The feeder can be a bit loud when dispensing food.
2. Petnet SmartFeeder
This cat feeder can be connected to your smartphone, so you can access it even when you are not at home. Aside from that, you can get notifications that food has been delivered to your pets.
- Allows you to schedule feedings from a remote location
- Compatible with Apple and Android gadgets
- Can be connected to Wi-Fi
- Set up is easy
- Offers great customer support
- Cats won’t be able to open this easily
- Limited customization options
- Server can be down sometimes
- Not the best choice when you are leaving your pets alone
3. SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
This is one of the feeders with the most advanced technologies out there. This is a great choice when you are looking for something unique and unusual.
- Has a highly innovative design
- Feeder is triggered by sensors
- Can be connected to Wi-Fi
- Cats feel comfortable in using this feeder
- Good for cats on a prescription diet
- Ideal for those with several cats
- Does not come cheap
- Intelligent cats can pry this open
- Some products did not work properly
4. Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder with Webcam & Wi-Fi
If you have a pet, it would make you feel guilty if you don’t feed them on time. However, life happens and there are just moments when you can’t be the one to give them food. Needless to say, you can ensure that your kitties are eating on time and see it too with this feeder.
Whether you are feeding wet or dry food to your kitties, this feeder is a great choice. This feeder has six compartments and you can place the food in those compartments. Wet food can be kept fresh up until 48 hours which is ideal especially if you have cats that require that kind of nutrition.
The best thing about this feeder is that you can see your pets whether you have an Apple or an Android device. You could also get the needed notifications such as when your pets have eaten.
- Smart pet feeder with built-in webcam
- Compatible with Android, Apple, and Windows devices
- Allows you to set a feedings schedule whether there’s Wi-Fi or not
- The feeder works as advertised.
- Wet food remains fresh for up to 48 hours.
- Feed scheduling programs are stored locally, so there is no need for Wi-Fi.
- Popup windows can be annoying
- Could use a light camera or night vision camera
- There are connection issues during initial setup
5. HoneyGuaridan A25 Automatic Pet Feeder
Does your cat and dog responsive to your voice when it’s meal time? This pet feeder might be the best choice for you since it allows you to record your voice for up to 12 seconds to remind pets it’s time for feeding.
- Low power consumption
- Meal portions can be between 1/32 to 7 cups
- You can schedule up to six meals a day
- High quality cat feeder
- Great for people who work overtime a lot
- Delivers cat food on time
- Programming the device can be troublesome
- Cats can stick their paws inside to get more kibbles
- Has the tendency to break easily
Based on all the qualities that we need to assess when looking for an automatic feeder, the best one is PetSafe. Although the Wi-Fi feeder is getting more attention, the good old trusty cat feeder bags the first prize.
Indeed, Wi-Fi features are awesome but it’s always better to stick to a product that can do more. This is the main reason why the Petsafe automatic feeder is our winner
Another great thing about this product is that it runs not only one AC but also on battery. This is one of the most vital qualities of an automatic feeder. Setting up mealtimes is also an uncomplicated affair. Although you can’t check it via Wi-Fi, you can always ask someone to visit your kitties or set up a home system to know if your cat is getting fed.
When you are shopping for feeders, be sure to consider the best automatic cat reviews. This way, you can save time and learn all the good things about a product. Well, if you are looking for the best cat water fountains to complete your feeder, you can find our recommendation of the best cat water fountains here.
Are you looking for in automatic cat feeders? Do you have an automatic feeder? If so, what can you say about it?
Tell us more about what you think about automatic feeders in the comment section below. If you found this helpful, be sure to share it with other cat owners.